Today, a dream modular kitchen, for many people, includes a central kitchen island — a freestanding piece of cabinetry that is placed in a kitchen to supplement the countertop space. Both stylish and functional, kitchen islands have evolved into the foundation of a cooking space. The ‘island’ may have kitchen stools around it for extra seating and also include integral storage drawers or cabinets for cooking appliances. Ranging from low-priced and most simplistic to the most luxurious and most functional, there are diverse options to choose a kitchen island that match your requirements. Experienced home interior designers in Trivandrum can help you select your perfect kitchen island design for your home based on your budget.
Initially, a kitchen island was in the form of a wooden farm table which actually allowed cooks to utilize the extra space required for preparing food. Slowly, it became a relaxed and informal dining area. Today, kitchen islands are crafted from sleek, modern steel or made of rustic, weathered wood and so on. There are an incredible amount of diverse opportunities for personal expression in the creation and inclusion of an island to a kitchen. The islands can be created using the same materials as the base cabinets and countertop or can follow the trend for a ‘mismatched’ look. Also, these islands are not limited to specific dimension; they can be sized to fit into the available kitchen space.
Contemporary kitchen designers are creating kitchen islands that are not only aesthetically pleasing but also intricate with sinks and cooking surfaces. In addition to elevated stools, the design includes a non-cooking-preparation side as an additional dining area.
Benefits of Having a Kitchen Island
If you are looking for more storage space or would like to have seating in your kitchen, a kitchen island might be the perfect solution. Here are the key benefits of having a kitchen island:
- Maximizes your space and functionality by allowing accessibility from all sides. The countertop of island kitchens can also function as an overflow-surface for serving buffet style meals or sitting down to eat breakfast and snacks.
- Adds storage area with the option of additional drawers, pull out shelves, and cabinets in addition to existing wall cabinetry.
- Provides a great accessible space for recycling bins, especially under the island because it doesn’t interfere with the main preparation area.
- A perfect area for kids to complete their homework or to help make dinner. They would also feel part of the action and will be in close eye view while you are busy in cooking. Placing amenities like a microwave and refrigerated drawer that are within your kids’ reach would also help them feel independent, especially when it comes to getting their after school snacks or an early breakfast.
- Can accommodate multiple cooks and party guests, whilst you cook and even can be used as your home office.
- A movable kitchen island adds versatility to your cooking space if you have a small kitchen. You can roll your kitchen island out of the way after use, creating more space.
- Can change the whole appearance of your kitchen and become the real focal point of your kitchen.
With the concept of an open kitchen that has no separation between the kitchen and living area, sleek island kitchen designs are trending in modern homes. Leading interior designers in Trivandrum, Kerala offer kitchen interior designing services ranging from construction to furniture settings, all based on your requirements, plans and budget. They can help you find the perfect kitchen for your home.