When you plan your home, the living room is probably one of the first areas you think about. This is because living room is often one of the most used areas in the house because of the multitude of functions it has to fulfill – from entertaining guests to providing a peaceful place to relax. An attractive, warm and appealing sitting room can make an excellent impression on guests and other people who access the area for the first time. You need to carefully plan the design of your living room. Home interior designers in Trivandrum can help with this. Established companies work with their clients on all aspects of interior design, from choosing the furniture to deciding on the flooring and lighting, and other design elements, to provide the desired results.
Here are the basic elements to consider when designing your living room –
- Consider your lifestyle – Start by analyzing what kind of living space you want to design for yourself and your family. Will the room be used for parties or intimate gatherings or do you just want one large seating area or several seating groups? In simple terms, it is important to consider your lifestyle and design your space in a way that it is safe and comfortable for the entire family.
- Create a focal point – Aesthetics is a crucial aspect in a living room as it is the hub of your home where you relax with family and entertain visitors. Having a prominent focal point will improve the ambience. A breathtaking view from a large window, a winding staircase, a feature wall, an architectural design, a vintage mirror, or a striking bookshelf – all of these can very well serve as a focal point for your main family room. Regardless of the focal point you choose, make sure to arrange the furniture around it to it an attractive appeal. Having good seating arrangements around a focal point can encourage conversation and make people feel relaxed.
- Choose a neutral color palette – Apartment interior designers advise or suggest choosing neutral color schemes like beige, ivory, taupe, black, gray, and shades of white. These shades can highlight furnishings and the textures. Furthermore, neutral shades work for every interior design style – modern, vintage, eclectic, and traditional, giving the room a clean, classy look.
- Flooring – Flooring is a crucial aspect of living space renovation. Floors are subject to wear and tear and it is important to spend considerable time on researching what type of flooring would be the right option in terms of aesthetics as well as functionality and durability. Consider the amount of foot traffic that the room will have to endure. For instance, will your living room need to withstand young children and pets or do you have members using wheelchairs or other walking aids? Choose the flooring material based on all these aspects. Hardwood floors can withstand heavy foot traffic. Vinyl plank flooring is attractive and cost-effective. Make sure to choose patterns and colors which complement the other elements of your decor.
- Pay attention to the furniture – Living room furniture can promote conversations and interactions between people. Depending on the space, furniture to consider include at least one comfortable sofa and a couple of arm chairs. Further, to complete the look of the room, you need a center table. Coffee tables and pouffe stools can add an elegant appearance.
- Improve the lighting – Consider a variety of layered lighting. Experiment with a combination of lighting options like ambient lighting, accent lighting, and task lighting to create a visually comfortable and balanced living area.
- Let in the natural light – Letting in natural lighting will create a lively effect. Large and wide glass windows can make best use of daylight in the room. In addition, installing a skylight in a specific spot of the room like the dining area to bring the natural light.
- Create faux extra space – Try to create the illusion of an extra or greater living room space without removing a major portion of the wall. Simple techniques include –
- A white ceiling to avoid a claustrophobic feeling.
- Aim for between 10 -20 inches of bare floor space between the edges of the rug and the walls.
- Mount shelves high, near the ceiling.
- Build storage units that hug close to the wall. Uncluttered sight vastly improves the look of any room thereby making it feel larger.
- Use a large, colorful, or showy statement piece (like a chandelier) that captures the eye and make the room feel larger.
- Front door – Install a strong, attractive front door. This will not only enhance your home’s exterior curb appeal, but also add new shine to the living room.
- Accessorize – Accessorizing doesn’t require professional interior designing skills. Choose minimal and attractive accessories like art pieces, cushions, throw pillows, curtains, mirrors, candle stands, ceramic displays and vintage vases with fresh flowers. These objects can enhance the overall appeal of the room. Smarten up the windows with colorful blinds and curtains with a variety of textures. Strategically positioning a few indoor plants will give the room a refreshing appeal.
Considering the above-mentioned tips when designing a living room will give it an attractive appeal. Partnering with a professional interior designer can go a long way in helping you achieve your goals. Interior design services from established providers can save you money and make your living area as appealing as you want it to be.