Moving in to your brand-new, custom home is an amazing experience. Right from the new appliances to the clean walls and flooring, there are many things that will impact your future life. Clean and well-kept surroundings can instantly relax and energize you when get home after a long day’s work. Proper maintenance is the key to a healthy and safe home. When a house is kept clean and in good condition, it is less likely to develop the maintenance problems. Periodic maintenance checks are the key to preventing small problems from turning in to big disasters. Keeping track of repair tasks to be done and splitting them into different routines will ease the total maintenance load. Reputable builders and contractors in Trivandrum offer top quality maintenance services to ensure that new homes retain their shape and beauty for many years to come.
From daily cleaning to annual maintenance, here are some essential tips for keeping your home looking as good as the day you moved in –
- Protect things from your pets – Many families have pets. Pets may dig around in the lawn and ruin plants or scratch the walls, furniture, carpets, etc. Keep the pets off your furniture and make sure they are house-trained before ever letting them into your carpeted spaces. You can also provide them with toys like claw poles or chew toys so that they stay entertained and don’t start destroying your belongings. Invest in a vacuum with a HEPA filter to clean up dander, hair, and odors immediately.
- Check toilets and faucets – Take a moment every six months or so to inspect basic plumbing fixtures. As even a tiny leak could cost a lot, it is important to look for leaks and regularly check the grout on bathtubs, showers and tiles. Look for leaks around the base of the toilet as well. Clean the sink, shower, tub, toilets thoroughly every day. Clean out mirror and glass spots that can ruin the life of the mirror and give off an unclean vibe. Check the floor corners and make sure they are clean. Touch up any voids or cracks in tubs and showers. This keeps them looking nice while helping to avoid seeping water damage.
- Kitchen – Water damage is one of worst problems in a home kitchen area. Check for leaks under your sink and make sure all of your plumbing is sealed and in good condition. Repair grout and caulking around fixtures and counter top tiles.
- Basement – Check for cracks in the foundation and leaks. Buildings naturally settle over time, and cause cracks and leaks.
- Roof – Check for loose or missing shingles and clogged gutters. Generally, asphalt shingled roofs can need replacement in as little as 15 years. Always check for signs of water leakage from the roof. Look for any sign of termites or rodents. Squirrels, rats, even bats that nest in your attic can chew electrical wiring, which can cause fire or damage insulation.
- Maintain heating and cooling systems – Heating, air conditioning and other types of climate control systems work by circulating hot or cold air through the house. These systems push a lot of dust along with temperature controlled air and can become a major potential conductor of pollution in the home. An annual inspection and check up by certified service professional is important. They will clean up any accumulated debris and verify whether your system is functioning properly. Heating and cooling systems are expensive to replace, so ensure they’re in good condition.
- Check windows and wall – If not maintained properly, both windows and walls can be a source of health problems. Inspecting and repairing both areas should top the home maintenance check list. Prevent drafts and excess moisture from entering the home by replacing or repairing any caulking around the home’s doors and windows. Replace or repair the cracked windows. The walls in the interior of the home should also be carefully checked for evidence of termites or other pests.
- Spruce up your front door – The front door of a home is usually the first close look anyone gets of your home. If you have a hardwood door with a natural look, take the time to clean and polish it. If it is painted, consider touching it up or repainting it as necessary. On the other hand, if you are planning to upgrade, consider upgrading to something that will be visually appealing while also offering good home security.
- Check the exterior – Inspecting the exterior of the house is a crucial part of a home maintenance plans Look for signs of wear and tear. Check for decay or damage to the trimming around doors and windows. A good rule of thumb is to repaint the building every 3-5 years. Doors, window trim and shutters may need a fresh coat more often. Repaint and repair home siding and trim that has become loose or where paint has begun to peel.
Doing routine check-ups, maintaining your house, and keeping it clean are vital to ensure a beautiful, healthy and safe home environment. Always commit to a regular maintenance schedule. Create a maintenance checklist for tasks required to be completed both inside and outside your home. Listing these on a weekly and monthly or seasonal basis can help stagger out the workload. To get the job done, choose an experienced provider of home maintenance services in Trivandrum. Professional builders and developers who offer these services can provide excellent support to maintain your custom built home, while saving you time and money.